The Right Candidate at the Right Time
With historic turnover taking place on our County Council in 2018, we need proven leadership more than ever. Melissa McKenna is a champion for all...especially the underdog, the forgotten, and the otherwise silent voice. She levels the playing field. She gets results. She is beholden to no one while genuinely listening to everyone. Melissa builds coalitions, dazzles with a near encyclopedic knowledge of facts and figures, and works tirelessly when it comes to getting the job done.
On October 14, 2017, Melissa introduced the three areas of focus of her campaign: Education, Opportunity, and Livability.
- Montgomery County Council of PTAs (MCCPTA): Executive Committee and Board leadership positions: Vice President, Secretary, Capital Improvements Program Chair, and Cluster Coordinator.
- Extensive advocacy and testimony to the Board of Education, County Council, Planning Board, the Cities of Rockville and Gaithersburg, and in Annapolis.
- Built solid, working relationships with elected officials at all levels.
- Led advocacy training for MCCPTA and Montgomery County Educators Association (MCEA).
- Local PTA President, Vice President of Advocacy, and Treasurer.
- Vice Precinct Chair for Montgomery County Democratic Central Committee.
- Part of a team that convinced the County Council to exceed Maintenance of Effort funding for the MCPS Operating Budget for the first time in 2016 by $87M. Repeated this feat in 2017 by $13M-37M for a total of $100M-$124M per year.
- Helped lead the charge to increase MCPS Capital Improvements Program (CIP) funding with the Council. Resulted in $67M more in 2016-2017.
- Helped bring $18M in new MCPS CIP grant funding from Annapolis in 2015 and 2016.
- Worked with Rockville City Council to prevent the construction of a storage facility near an elementary school.